My Zunivers

13 November 2008

Shoes and Other Baby Things

My kid has been quite nice to me lately. On Monday I took my officemate to Wal-Mart for groceries. I had to bike home, and when I got home I sad to the baby that I needed to leave but I would be home soon. She looked at me with a little disappointment on her face, but then she smiled. She walked over to the front door, sat down, and started trying to put on her socks and shoes! I couldn't resist that, so I packed the diaper bag and took her along for the ride. On the way home we needed to drop off my officemate and his groceries. The Kid and I stayed in the car. Right before we left there I turned around and noticed that The Kid's socks and shoes were off.

Me: "You took off your socks and shoes!"

Kid: [smiles a big smile]

Me: "And where did you put your socks and shoes?"

Kid: [makes a serious face and points to rear passenger seat]

Me: [turns on dome light and looks; yep, there they are] "Okay. We don't want to lose them."

She's actually quite good about that. And she knows where lots of crap can be found. I have feeling that I now have another "Don't touch my stuff! I know where it is!" person in my household. She gets a little confused when her toys are put away.

Tonight I went in to her room when she woke up after a few hours of sleep. I picked her up, gave her a hug, put her back down, and told her she needed to go to sleep. She stopped crying and flopped herself into a comfy sleeping position. I could tell she had too much energy to go straight to sleep, so I leaned my head on her bed. She pointed at her dog poster and said "Bowowow? Bowowow?" a few times. I did what I always do and told her she needed to go to sleep. As she was settling down, she thought up a great idea. (I love kids. You can see the great idea on their faces before they even more into action.) She rolled onto her stomach, crawled over to my face, nearly leaned on it, and put her head down on my hand. As cute as it is to have a kid want to snuggle, I did need to turn down her offer this time. She was way too close to the edge of the bed. And my rule at night is to falling asleep without snuggling. So I moved her to the middle of her bed. As usual she tried to keep an eye on me so I would not leave. And as usual sleep won.

Poor kid's got a nice bump on her face where she split open her lip today. She fall over and did a vertical faceplant into the front of the desk. Her teeth seem to be intact, with no signs of blood or swelling on her gums that I could find. It seems that her lower lip cushioned her upper incisor's fall. And that lump will be no fun for her as it heals.

Labels: , , ,

4 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home